Sunday, July 11, 2010

Empathy, Advocacy, Solidarity

The best thing about my internship is that I am getting an array of diverse exposure to issues of my interest, and are actually seeing progress on them every single day. 
How, exactly? 
Because my tasks as an intern exhibit a perfect combination of "research" and "advocacy".  

AMC, the host organization is conducting a follow-up research on the situation of foreign domestic workers (FDW) in Hong Kong. Research is consisted of two parts; first, a quantitative research through distributing questionnaires to FDW, and second, a qualitative research through conducting focused group discussions. 
My part of the research is qualitative, and I have begun to hold focused group discussions with various stakeholders- including FDW themselves, consulates of sending countries, trade unions, HK government, civil society and charity organizations. 

Here comes in my real learning process on research. AMC staffs have been particularly helpful and trusting in giving us (I am working with another intern from the NYC) the full responsibility of conducting these discussions. 
Even though I was not able to get involved in the overall research design, I feel like I'm actually reviewing and applying everything I learned in the first-year MPP core classes on statistics and econometrics. By studying how survey questions were made (avoid ordering and all other traps!), how to collect samples (relying on "quasi-scientific" methods as our executive director explains), how to instruct migrants to distribute them (ensuring the most accurate research methodologies), and how to draw conclusions (correlation but no causation!). 

Which naturally leads to the advocacy part. First I have the most valuable time with different migrant women every single day, to listen to their voices and stand with them. 
Moreover, I am excited to see how this research will actually be used in the real world, because the ultimate purpose of our research is to map the current realities faced by FDW, and use them as the resource for campaigns ensuring for more protection and enjoyment of basic labor and legal rights, such as 8HR workday, overtime compensation, restdays, social security and many more. 

That is why I have put three words above as the title of this post. 


Although not always a one-way, empathy is essential for advocacy and through it, we are able to achieve solidarity with people of starkly different backgrounds. 

 
On my way to the AMC Office in Kowloon. It's a busy industrial district full of working class local people, unlike more well-known fancy neighborhoods in HK. But I think I will miss the energy in the streets, cheap and delicious food!

As I try to meditate on these three words everyday, even for a short moment, I am also happy to see my research agenda being developed in more specific terms. I think I defined the "economic empowerment" quite narrowly, because I was trying to look for specific models of economic survival or success through training, saving schemes, or entrepreneurship. But now I am focusing more on the power of social capital or networks, advocacy work from the grassroots, and government policies. Hope to share more concrete ideas in the next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment