Friday, July 2, 2010

July 1st rally

My first official day of internship began with just what I wanted, face-to-face interaction with migrant women!

July 1st has a special presence in contemporary Hong Kong's history. The year 1997 marks the handover of Hong Kong to People's Republic of China after a century. For pro-democratic civil society groups, the day is also of a particular importance, because in 2003 they held mass protests against the legislation restricting freedom of speech and expression. Since then, July 1st has been commemorated differently by two groups in Hong Kong.

For migrants, this year's rally served as a crucial platform to raise awareness for pressing issues, mainly the adoption of the Domestic Workers Convention at the ILO next year.

So, together with the AMC staffs, interns and migrant groups, I went out in the streets sizzling with a record-high temperature of 33 C (91 F) in the peak of the day. 

But I had so much fun! I've been to numerous demonstrations, peaceful as well as violent. As a journalist for social news in South Korea, where the tradition of "people power" continues even after the country's democratization, it was almost inevitable. I must confess that I have also been a part of angry and sad protesters at times. 

Yet this one was something! 
First, we marched across the heart of the Hong Kong City, from Victoria Park in Causeway Bay to City Government Office in Central. Walking along the emptied streets with the "citizens" of Hong Kong, regardless of legal status or nationalities, I felt liberated, and felt deep desire from the grassroots demanding more democracy. 



















Second, I was touched by the extraordinary commitment and passion from migrant women, mostly migrant domestic workers. In their rare day-off, they were out interacting, organizing, and advocating their rights themselves. 








Women representing the Filipina domesic workers' union gather at Victoria Park. 









Indonesian domestic workers getting ready for the rally, with creative face-prints and costumes. 









Indonesian women in hijab chant slogans for the rally. 



The day of campaigning concluded with another unexpected surprise. At one of the domestic workers association's office in Causeway Bay, I was treated with an amazing Indonesian food. The association  runs a small but perfect restaurant (and a shop) for fundraising on Sundays, where domestic workers enjoy their only day-off in a week.




It's been two days since the rally... but chants are still ringing in my ears...
"Domestic workers what do we want? No discrimination for us! Equal payment, equal rights!"

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing start, Yoojin! You seem to have already begun your research on street. One month may be short but I hope you will experience as much as you can, and thank you for letting me to look into what you will have seen and thought here. Take care in the extreme heat in Hong Kong. Jemin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Jemin sunbae! I have so many stories that I want to share with you here as I meet migrant women, and would definitely need your help in formulating my ideas more concretely. Take care and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I would have loved to be there!

    ReplyDelete